Sunday, November 12

Portrait of our 2 year old and the aunt



The final product is 18" x 18".



I found this one difficult to finish knowing that it was to go to a member of the family for Xmas present. The aunt is also not well at the moment, her rich olive skin looks a bit pale. I intially put too much white on her skin, and recoloured after her sister noticed she looked sickly in the portrait. I figure I could go on forever trying to make it look right, so eventually made myself stop.

She has that billowing armchair look when at home in her dressing gown and our lad is snuggled into her looking at his green truck (in fact a white truck, but I didn't want it to stand out in his hands).

I found this one more challenging than the landscape below, which I did entirely for my own satisfaction. Commissioned portraits must be hell. A sitter can be very vain - not so in this case as I worked from a photograph.

No comments: